Everton in the 80’s – Everton dumped out of the cup!!!

The 1980’s was the most successful decade in the history of Everton Football Club. Our series looks back at this day 28 years previously and focuses on the fortunes of Howard Kendall’s Everton as they looked to defend the First Division title they had won the previous season.

Everton 1-2 Chelsea – Milk Cup Fourth Round Replay at Goodison Park – Match Report from the Daily Express

Chelsea wrote another chapter in the history of 10-man triumphs last night to shatter Everton’s ambitions of adding the Milk Cup to their recent-array of honours.


This fourth round replay exploded with two spectacular goals in the opening nine minutes and it boiled over in the second half when Chelsea’s 21-year-old Darren Wood became the third player to be sent off in as many meetings between these rivals this season.

Kerry Dixon, who had struck after 53 seconds in the 1st game, jolted Everton with another swift goal. This time he took 61 seconds to sweep on to Speedie’s defence-beating cross field pass, cut in from the left and, as Southall advanced, drill an angled shot into the net of the far post.

Dixon’s 20th goal of the season was a dream opening for Chelsea and the fifth time this season Everton have conceded a goal in the first 90 seconds. But they surged back to equalise with an equally magnificent offering from Dixon’s England partner, Gary Lineker, in the ninth minute. Lineker climbed above Chelsea’s defence to meet Trevor Steven’s free-kick and direct a powerful header beyond goalkeeper Eddie Niedzwiecki.

There was no doubt Wood deserved his marching orders following dismissals of Everton goalkeeper Neville Southall in the October league clash at Stamford Bridge and Kevin Sheedy in the 2-2 draw a fortnight ago which sent this tie into a second match.

Woods scathing 65th minute waist-high challenge on Pat Van Den Hauwe gave referee Keith Hackett no option, though Everton supporters felt he should have been as firm with some other incidents in a gripping battle for a quarter-final trip to QPR.

Strangely, Wood’s departure proved the springboard to Chelsea’s triumph, for nine minutes after Wood trooped off Chelsea snatched victory.

From Jerry Murphy’s corner, goalkeeper Southall could only parry the ball from David Speedie and centre back Joe McLaughlin rammed in the rebound.


What do you think? Why not post a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s