Everton in the 80s – Everton 6-1 Arsenal

Everton in the 80’s

Welcome to our new regular feature tracking Everton in the 1980s. Our latest contributor is Daniel Wood, author of the @Footballint80s Twitter account. Daniel will be posting regular updates from this day in history starting from 11th November 1985. This retro look at Everton and 80s football in general is sure to bring back some fantastic nostalgia. Please feel free to share your memories of this fantastic win over Arsenal in the comments section at the foot of the page.

11 Nov 85: The Everton players will have little respite after their fantastic 6-1 win over Arsenal (full match report below).

Five of them will be on international duty this midweek. Stevens, Steven, Bracewell & Lineker face Northern Ireland at Wembley, whilst Kevin Sheedy is in the Eire squad for the World Cup qualifier with Denmark.


Other football news

11 Nov 85: 12 First Division clubs have met to finalise plans for a new Super League. They plan to put their proposals before The Football League.

It is thought that they want a 1st Division of 20 teams, a 2nd Division of 24 & 48 clubs who may go part-time.

Everton 6-1 Arsenal (Match report published in the Sunday Mirror dated 12th November 2013)

England striker Gary Lineker left Arsenal gasping and Don Howe speechless.

Lineker struck two superb first half goals as injury-hit Everton set up a massacre and blasted a warning to the pretenders to their league title.

Howe stayed locked into the dressing room for 55 minutes after the final whistle then emerged to announce I’ve got nothing to say.

If Lineker left Arsenal gasping it was Heath who left them for dead.

The 5ft 5in midfield tiger robbed Williams with a crunching tackle on the halfway line passed to Lineker then tore into the box to shoot past John Lukic after David O’Leary failed to clear Graeme Sharp’s low cross.

That was after 51 minutes and thirteen minutes later Trevor Steven put the outcome beyond all doubt from the penalty spot after Paul Davis had hacked down Heath.

Playing his part in all this was 20-year-old left back debutant Neil Pointon pressed into immediate service because of growing demands on Everton’s defensive resources.

Pointon, a £50,000 buy from Scunthorpe three days earlier didn’t look remotely in awe of the big time.

But he must have marvelled at the pace and technique of teammate Lineker.

The first goal in the 20th minute was sheer class.

The length of the field move started by Gary Stevens and continued by Sharp’s deft header ended with Lineker out pacing Tommy Paton before rifling a low left foot shot past Lukic to register Everton’s 100th goal against Arsenal.

Lineker cracked in the second after Lukic failed to hold Kevin Sheedy’s stinging 39th minute free-kick.

Heath was there again to poke in Everton’s fifth goal from Steven’s low cross in the 81st minute and still Everton turned the knife.

Fittingly, Pointon provided the pass from which Sheedy crossed for Sharp to complete the six hit slaughter five minutes from the end.

News of Manchester United’s first League defeat of the season served only to confirm the impression that Everton’s title is far from surrendered.

Man of the Match: Gary Lineker (Everton)


What do you think? Why not post a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s