After each game, Alex Jones, the newest member of the St Domingo’s team, will provide a brief review of the match with performance ratings for each player. Each month these ratings will be used to decide the St Domingo’s player of the month and at the end of the season, player and young player of the year. Please let us have your comments and feedback.
Another disappointing result for the blues.
We started well, Mirallas and others narrowly missing some half-chances, but the performance seemed to deteriorate a little, even with the dominance of the possession we still couldn’t find the back of the net.
Even with the new manager and new faces we still seem to have the same problem, no creativity in the last third and/or no end product.
But surely we shouldn’t be having this problem when we have the likes of Deulofeu on the bench?
We started the game similar to the way we played against Real Madrid pre-season, with a very high back line. In the Madrid game, Ronaldo punished us several times and you could see today that Long was relishing the opportunities to test Distin’s pace. Because of the high line, West Brom had plenty of space to play in behind the back four and thread balls through to Long.
In the second half the defenders played a lot deeper, which gave West Brom the space to play in front of the line (you just can’t win) and pick up several free kicks in dangerous positions. I thought that because their centre backs lack pace we would have played Kone as the lone striker, but Martinez opted for Jelavic which unfortunately didn’t work, but when Kone was brought on he looked very sharp and i honestly believe if he was on 10 minutes earlier he would have scored.
Tim Howard- 8
Leighton Baines- 9
Phil Jagielka- 8
Sylvain Distin- 7
Seamus Coleman- 9
Kevin Mirallas- 6
Leon Osman- 6
Steven Pienaar- 7
Ross Barkley- 9
Nikica Jelavic- 7
Steven Naismith – 6.5
Arouna Kone – 8
Why I gave them a high rating
- Similar to last week, Barkley was brilliant, always wanting the ball and looking for that killer pass.
- Baines was outstanding, the only player (apart from Coleman) on the pitch that was actually creating chances, he also was solid at the back.
- Howard pulled off 3 superb saves which you could say saved us the game.
- Coleman looked solid defensively and offensively, putting in several crucial tackles and a few decent crosses from the wing.
- I gave Jagielka an 8 purely because of his tackles, when the line was high the ball was getting played over the top and Jagielka had to beat Long to the ball and knock it out of play, which he did brilliantly on several occasions.
Why I gave them a low rating
- Mirallas wasn’t his usual self, he looked uninterested and fatigued.
- Osman got caught in possession too many times and gave the ball away too often.
So Blues, what are your predictions on where we will finish this season, also how do you think we will do against Cardiff?